Zyban belongs to antidepressants and is actively used for the treatment of nicotine addiction. The drug is able to treat depression of any severity and reduces the convulsive activity of the brain, excessive drowsiness, insomnia, anxiety, and possibly weight. With regular and long-term admission, it is possible to reduce the possibility of repeated cases of the depressive state. The drug is trendy due to the absence of side effects in the form of sexual dysfunction and weight gain.
Zyban is produced in the form of tablets, which are easily divided in half and dissolve in water. Each tablet contains bupropion hydrochloride (hcl) in a dosage of 75 mg, 100 mg, or 150 mg.
Pharmacological effect of Bupropion hcl
Bupropion hcl reduces the reuptake of the hormones norepinephrine and dopamine with the weak oppression of serotonin.
Indications for use of Zyban
Zyban is generally prescribed to patients in a depressed state of varying severity. It is used to reduce anxiety and manage attention deficit disorder. The drug is often used in antinicotinic therapy and the treatment of obesity.
Mode of application
Zyban tablets are swallowed whole, with enough clean water. The daily dose should not exceed 450 mg. The initial dose of Zyban is 150 mg., Later, it can be increased to 300 mg.
Side effects of Bupropion
Side effects of Bupropion include:
- Epileptic seizures
- Skin rashes (hives), itching, increased sweating
- Sleep disturbance, anxiety, tremor
- Reduction of visual acuity, ringing in the ears, tremor
- Inhibition of consciousness, loss of attention
- Increased blood pressure, tachycardia
- Pain in the chest, fever, asthenia
- Vomiting, nausea, constipation, dry mouth
- Very rarely, anaphylactic shock, Quincke’s edema, and bronchospasm as well as aggressiveness, hallucinations, blood sugar jumps, and frequent urination may occur with the usage of Zyban.
Contraindications for the use of Zyban include:
- Any convulsive activity, especially epilepsy
- Age less than 18 years or more than 60 years
- Nerve diseases such as bulimia and anorexia
- Brain tumors and other oncological disorders
- Parkinson’s disease and Alzheimer’s disease
Pregnancy and lactation
Safety of the drug during pregnancy and lactation is not established, so treatment with Zyban during pregnancy should be approved only by a doctor. While taking the drug, the patient must stop breastfeeding.
Interaction with other drugs
Bupropion cannot be taken with the following:
- Other antidepressants
- Glucocorticoids (including in the form of ointments)
- Some antibiotics (e.g., ciprofloxacin)
- Beta-blockers for the treatment of the heart and blood vessels
- Insulin and drugs that reduce sugar
- Medicines for the treatment of Parkinson’s disease
In the case of an overdose, drowsiness, excessive fatigue, epileptic seizures, visual hallucinations, loss of consciousness, coma, severe tachycardia, and/or arrhythmia may occur. It is recommended to wash the stomach out if the drug was taken recently.